A Medical Administrative Assistant serves a key role in a medical office, clinic and hospital settings. In this course students will develop foundation skills that are required for employment in medical field. This multi-skilled practitioner is competent in medical records management, insurance processing and billing, management of practice finances, information processing, and fundamental office management tasks.
Some of the duties performed by a Medical Administrative Assistant
• Set appointment times
• Greet patients
• File and pull charts
• Handle insurance information
• Assist new patients with paperwork
• Word processing & Know bookkeeping
• Type medical correspondence
• Transcribe medical dictation
• Understand and know insurance coding information
• Scheduling hospital admissions
• Fill out and submit insurance medical forms
• Collects and records payments
• Must know medical terminology
This program will prepare students for the following certification exams:
• NHA Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
• NHA Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)
• Microsoft MOS: Word & Excel
• LIIT Completion Certificate
MEDICAL OFFICE ADMINISTRATION Courses:
1. Microsoft Word & Excel
2. Introduction to Healthcare
3. Medical Assisting - Administrative Skills
4. Medical Legal Issues
5. Medical Terminology
6. Medical Records Management
7. Medical Billing with Medisoft
Microsoft Word & Excel
This course provides hands-on class for Microsoft Word & Excel.
Word processing is the use of computers to create, revise, and save documents for printing and future retrieval. Microsoft Word is a proven and powerful word processing application. This will provide you with the basic and intermediate concepts required to produce common business documents as well as give you the opportunity to apply them.
This course will give you the skills to create, edit, format and print basic and intermediate level worksheets and charts in Excel. Also you will learn some advanced features of Excel, including templates; sorting filtering; importing and exporting; advanced formulas; and collaboration.
Introduction to Healthcare
Introduction to healthcare systems and trends, ethical and legal responsibilities, personal and workplace safety, professionalism, life-long learning, and communication.
Medical Legal Issues
This course introduces the complex legal, moral, and ethical issues involved in providing health-care services. Emphasis is placed on the legal requirements of medical practices; the relationship of physician, patient, and office personnel; professional liabilities; and medical practice liability. The medical administrative assistant is required to have a basic understanding of the legal principles which set the standard for the professional duties and limitations of the members of a medical practice.
Medical Terminology I
This course introduces prefixes, suffixes, and word roots used in the language of medicine. Topics include medical vocabulary and the terms that relate to the anatomy, physiology, pathological conditions, and treatment of selected systems. Upon completion, students should be able to pronounce, spell, and define medical terms as related to selected body systems and their pathological disorders.
With Medisoft training, you can learn the basics like navigating through the popular Medisoft medical billing software, entering and editing patients, providers, case information, transaction charges, payments, adjustment information and creating, managing claims and reports.
Records Management with EHR Certification
The Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) is responsible for maintaining the integrity and protecting the privacy and security of patient information. AS a Certified EHR Specialist, you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
• Audit patient records for compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
• Abstract clinical information for inclusion in reports such as quality improvement studies
• Perform basic coding to submit claims for reimbursement for insurers
• Process Release of Information (ROI) requests for medical records
• Review patient records to ensure they are complete
• Collect patient demographic and insurance information
Each individual state decides the scope of practice for medical administrative specialists. Most states do not have licensure laws, but many states do have a scope of practice for medical administrative specialists or medical assistants.
LasComp Institute’s Medical Administrative Assistant program prepares you for following certifications: NHA’s CMAA & CEHRS and Microsoft’s MOS.
Note: Course or program subject to change/modify according to certification requirements.