This course covers the duties of those who are responsible for monitoring and detecting security incidents in information systems and networks, and for executing a proper response to such incidents. Depending on the size of the organization, this individual may act alone or may be a member of a computer security incident response team (CSIRT). The course introduces strategies, frameworks, methodologies, and tools to manage cybersecurity risks, identify various types of common threats, design and operate secure computing and networking environments, assess and audit the organization’s security, collect and analyze cybersecurity intelligence, and handle incidents as they occur. The course also covers closely related information assurance topics such as auditing and forensics to provide a sound basis for a comprehensive approach to security aimed toward those on the front lines of defense.
This course is designed for information assurance professionals who perform job functions related to the development, operation, management, and enforcement of security capabilities for systems and networks.
• Recommended at least 2 years of experience in computer network security technology or a related field.
• Recognize information security vulnerabilities and threats in the context of risk management.
• Operate at a foundational level some of the common operating systems for computing environments. • Foundational knowledge of the concepts and operational framework of common assurance safeguards in computing environments. Safeguards include, but are not limited to, basic authentication and authorization, resource permissions, and anti-malware mechanisms.
• Operate at a foundational level some of common concepts for network environments, such as routing and switching.
• Foundational knowledge of the concepts and operational framework of common assurance safeguards in network environments. Safeguards include, but are not limited to, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, and VPNs (virtual private networks).
Next Course Offer
In this course, you will develop, operate, manage, and enforce security capabilities for systems and networks.
• Assess information security risk in computing and network environments.
• Create an information assurance lifecycle process.
• Analyze threats to computing and network environments.
• Design secure computing and network environments.
• Operate secure computing and network environments.
• Assess the security posture within a risk management framework.
• Collect cybersecurity intelligence information.
• Analyze collected intelligence to define actionable response.
• Respond to cybersecurity incidents.
• Investigate cybersecurity incidents.
• Audit secure computing and network environments.
This course fulfills DoD directive 8570.01 for Information Assurance (IA) training and is designed for professionals establishing IA policies, security measures, and procedures for the DoD.
Lesson 1: Assessing Information Security Risk
- Identify the Importance of Risk Management
- Topic B: Assess Risk
- Mitigate Risk
- Integrate Documentation into Risk Management
Lesson 2: Creating an Information Assurance Lifecycle Process
- Evaluate Information Assurance Lifecycle Models
- Align Information Security Operations to the Information Assurance Lifecycle
- Align Information Assurance and Compliance Regulations
Lesson 3: Analyzing Threats to Computing and Network Environments
- Identify Threat Analysis Models
- Assess the Impact of Reconnaissance Incidents
- Assess the Impact of Systems Hacking Attacks
- Assess the Impact of Malware
- Assess the Impact of Hijacking and Impersonation Attacks
- Assess the Impact of DoS Incidents
- Assess the Impact of Threats to Mobile Security
- Assess the Impact of Threats to Cloud Security
Lesson 4: Designing Secure Computing and Network Environments
- Information Security Architecture Design Principles
- Design Access Control Mechanisms
- Design Cryptographic Security Controls
- Design Application Security
- Design Computing Systems Security
- Design Network Security
Lesson 5: Operating Secure Computing and Network Environments
- Implement Change Management in Security Operations
- Implement Monitoring in Security Operations
Lesson 6: Assessing the Security Posture Within a Risk Management Framework
- Deploy a Vulnerability Management Platform
- Conduct Vulnerability Assessments
- Conduct Penetration Tests on Network Assets
- Follow Up on Penetration Testing
Lesson 7: Collecting Cybersecurity Intelligence Information
- Deploy a Security Intelligence Collection and Analysis Platform
- Collect Data from Security Intelligence Sources
Lesson 8: Analyzing Cybersecurity Intelligence Information
- Analyze Security Intelligence to Address Incidents
- Use SIEM Tools for Analysis
Lesson 9: Responding to Cybersecurity Incidents
- Deploy an Incident Handling and Response Architecture
- Perform Real-Time Incident Handling Tasks
- Prepare for Forensic Investigation
Lesson 10: Investigating Cybersecurity Incidents
- Create a Forensic Investigation Plan
- Securely Collect Electronic Evidence
- Identify the Who, Why, and How of an Incident
- Follow Up on the Results of an Investigation
Lesson 11: Auditing Secure Computing and Network Environments
- Deploy a Systems and Processes Auditing Architecture
- Prepare for Audits
- Perform Audits Geared Toward the Information Assurance Lifecycle